[Buddha-l] Was Mr. Pol Pot a Buddhist?

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Sat Oct 13 12:32:13 MDT 2012

. In that, I guess they anticipated Slavoj Žižek's claim that Buddhism is the perfect ideology for sustaining uncritical capitalist consumerism. (I am not sure why Žižek makes that claim. I think he perceives Buddhism as advocating acceptance of whatever happens to be the case and as seeing all attempts to reform anything as a manifestation of hatred.)
Richard Hayes

Hm-- Žižek obviously overlooked the role of Christianity, both in fostering capitalism as well as its current avatar, totalistic consumerism. See: Tawney, _Religion and the Rise of Capitalism_, and Weber, The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism.
Or, if he didn't, his main project (far as I've read his commentaries) is hyper-debunkmanship.
Joanna