[Buddha-l] Canada cancels non-Christian prison chaplaincies

James A Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Oct 9 00:05:09 MDT 2012

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 23:13:59 -0600
Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> The Conservative government of Canada has reached the conclusion that
> providing chaplaincy services to non-Christians is not a good use of
> taxpayers' money.

One of my recent research interests is in chaplaincy, but for the
military rather than inmates.  And I have been surprised to find that
there are Buddhist chaplains serving in the US military.  Would not the
requirements of sila make this a unwholesome livelihood for a
Buddhist?  Most seem to be ethnic Buddhists, of the Pure Land
tradition.  But I am still confused.  Chaplains for prisoners, of
course, is an entirely different matter, and probably consistent with
Buddhist ethics. But in any case, chaplains are supposed to provide
spiritual comfort to all believers, unless the chaplain is Baptist.

> Richard Hayes (guilty of the felony of avoiding military service but
> never convicted, having postponed punishment until the next life)

And what is the punishment for avoiding military service?   Being
reborn as an actual Buddhist?  That'll teach you!

Andy Stroble
Hawaii