[Buddha-l] New film about Dalits in western India--"Papilio Buddha"

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Thu Oct 4 21:46:30 MDT 2012

Here's link to their website: http://papiliobuddha.com/trailer.html

SYNOPSIS
Papilio Buddha explores the life of a group of displaced Dalits in the
Western Ghats of India and probes the new identity politics based on
Ambedkarism, gaining momentum among the Dalits in the region, in the milieu
of an ongoing land struggle.
Tagline:
A band of displaced untouchables in Western Ghats of India embrace Buddhism
in order to escape from caste oppression.
The Papilio Buddha is a blue butterfly of the region.

A review from The Hindu:
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/the-butterfly-effect/article3954653.ece

I've not seen the film yet, but waiting for a screener for review in the
journal I work for.
If anyone wants to buy the DVD, I might be able to find out how to contact a
distributor. It has just been released in India, not sure if available here.
But soon it will be.

Joanna