[Buddha-l] Bangladesh Muslim lovefest

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 05:36:54 MDT 2012

Erik writes:
> My problem with this is that groups are not real things, but concepts,
> ways of dealing with phenomena, or do you want to return to Medieval
> conceptual realism?

They are prajnaptic and samvrtic. When *you* ask "do *you* want..." and
begin with "*My problem is..." you demonstrate that you too live and act and
interact in a prajnaptic, samvrtic world. Are you living in a medieval
conceptual realism?

Karma is samvrtic. As the sammitiyas, yogacaras and Santideva in the
Madhyamakan camp (and arguably the Sautrantikas as well) realized, without
prajnapti there is no karma. Because you say there is no forest (because it
is a prajnapti) does not mean you can't get lost in it. Nor does it mean
that the forest on its own, interacting ecologically, is "unreal." A certain
static, abstracted, conceptualized notion of "forest" is unreal, but the
underlying complex causal processes that are heuristically represented by
the word "forest" are real.

That "groups" are prajnaptis and hence in an important sense "unreal" does
not mean that they don't exist at all: samvrti-sat. To mistake samvrti-sat
for dismissible nonexistence is cheap sophistry, and dangerous for a
Buddhist; it is precisely the sort of incorrigible trap that Nagarjuna warns
is like grasping a snake the wrong way.

> The problem here is that karma always has the meaning of some kind of
> action with consequences. So if I receive passively influences from
> others...

Mutual influence is neither strictly passive nor active -- there are
intentions, things one is prone to notice, things one will neglect and
overlook, propensities toward things, embodied conditioning (samskaras) from
prior experiences and prior lifetimes. Volitions (cetana) are also
conditioned, so to some extent choosing action is also conditioned and
passive, unless you want to return to a Christian medieval metaphysic of
freewill, which is no longer Buddhism. Anyoniso manasikara means to not
fully pay attention to the full context. From one perspective, we are all
passive receivers, even of our own intentions. From another, we are actively
constructing the frames through which we notice, ignore, evaluate and
comprehend. And it's all our karma, hence we are responsible for dealing
with it all, whatever its source. You don't get a free pass just hecause
it's passively received from a previous life, or from another (you wouldn't
have even noticed it, had your karma not primed you to, so nothing is
completely innocently passive).

Thanks, Erik. You are illustrating exactly the sort of problems and
incompatibilities that arise from  mixing Buddhist thought with some
contemporary western trends.

Dan