[Buddha-l] Buddhist stupa to be moved from NM Petroglyph Park

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Oct 2 13:10:44 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-02 at 21:14 +0600, Christopher Fynn wrote:

> PEER obviously don't know that among the primary reasons people erect
> stupas is to protect the environment, bring harmony and to please or
> subdue the local earth spirits.

The members of PEER seem to be rooted more in 21st century science than
in medieval metaphysics. If they they were told such a thing, I am
fairly sure they would dismiss it as quaint and out of date. One of
their principal concerns is climate change, and I have a feeling they
would not see that as a problem that can be ameliorated by some pious
Buddhists circumambulating a stupa.

>  Many Buddhists would believe that
> removing a stupa would have the opposite effect.

The local Buddhists seem to have no problem with it. Perhaps I should
notify them that they should be alarmed and offended.

Richard Hayes