[Buddha-l] Buddhist stupa to be moved from NM Petroglyph Park

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 01:13:27 MDT 2012

On 02/10/2012, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:
> And so I believe the Buddhist stupa must go from the land acquired by the National Park Service.

I can see that it would reasonable to remove this stupa if it was
constructed after the land was acquired by the NPS, as it presumably
would have been constructed in violation of the "sacred" US
Constitution. But surely, if the stupa was already there, that would
not be the case - though perhaps the NPS broke some law by purchasing
a religious monument along with the land. Now they are going to spend
all that taxpayers money on removing and re erecting it on some land
owned by Buddhists - which likely could be argued to violate the same
part of the US Constitution.

Perhaps they should just give title to the small piece of land which
the stupa actually sits on to that Buddhist group. That would save
spending taxpayers money on removing and re-erecting a Buddhist
monument and the NPS would no longer be in violation of the US
Constitution.