[Buddha-l] Article: The Death of the Scientific Buddha

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Nov 2 19:35:46 MDT 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 14:18 , Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net>
 wrote:

> Materialists are not so much wrong about a variety of things, as their account is incomplete and reductive.

Every account about everything is incomplete. Materialists do not have a monopoly on incompleteness. There is a way in which some (but by no means all) materialists are reductive (or even eliminative), but there is no inherent flaw in being either reductive or eliminative.

> Buddhists demand evidence.

That is at best a stipulative claim. I see no evidence that Buddhists are in fact much more demanding of evidence than anyone else.

Richard Hayes