[Buddha-l] Article: The Death of the Scientific Buddha

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Nov 2 09:35:51 MDT 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 8:58 AM, "Curt Steinmetz" <curt at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> That is to say, reports of the death of "the scientific Buddha" are greatly exaggerated, while his evil twin, "the scientistic Buddha" has in fact gone the way of all flesh. May it rest in pieces.

Well, tastes differ in these matters. I myself quite like the "scientistic" Buddha. Despite have read dozens of earnest critiques of what is disparagingly called "scientism," I am ineluctably drawn to what is being vilified and never feel as though I have been refuted by them. And, oddly enough, I have never felt as though my scientism was an impediment to my Buddhism.

Richard Hayes