[Buddha-l] Book News - Tibetan Rituals of Death

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Mon May 28 03:11:21 MDT 2012

Thanks Margaret - that looks very complete. I will definitely try to
get a copy of your book, though that is sometimes difficult here in
Bhutan

I know that at the  Sa-skya monastery in the Tibetan settlement at
Byalakuppe, Mysore (where I lived for several years) in the 1980s the
kun rig rnam par snang mdzad ritual was performed for their patrons
who died - much as the kar gling gzhi khro ritual was performed at the
rNying ma monastery nearby for their patrons. I had never encountered
this before - but at the time did not think it unusual. (It seems
quite certain that the majority of their patrons were not direct
descendants of the Sa-skya line)

Curious -  it may be that it is the custom of one sub-sect of  Sa-skya
- or of one region of Tibet.- possibly only of the tradition of that
particular monastery

best regards

Chris