[Buddha-l] EARTH HOUR 2012

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Fri Mar 30 17:41:20 MDT 2012

Dear all,

Please show dharmic care for conservation of resources and love of our so
far almost half-dead planet by observing Earth Hour tomorrow in the USA
(might already have started somewhere?). Let's turn off our lights during
Earth Hour. So much clutter on YouTube it's impossible for me to find a link
for the earth views from outer space.

Joanna

__________________

Earth Hour 2012 will take place on March 31, 2012 from 8:30pm to 9:30pm.

In February, Earth Hour launched its 2012 campaign, "I Will If You Will",
with the intention of engaging its growing global community to go beyond the
hour and coordinate their efforts publicly through Facebook, Twitter,
Google+ and email. Using a dedicated YouTube platform, IWIYW asks Earth
Hour's digital community to inspire people from all corners of the globe to
take sustainability actions, and to share their commitment to the
environment with their own social media networks.

Executive Director and Co-Founder Andy Ridley said, "Earth Hour's challenge
is no longer to connect people; the challenge is to offer a reason to
connect. Any movement of change begins with symbolism - it's a needed step
to prove enough people care about an issue. Earth Hour is past the beginning
now, and lots of people are switching their lights off every year in March.
We're now at the stage of taking it beyond the hour."

Youtube, following the previous year's example, changed its logo and added a
switch on/off feature near the title of each video, so that users can change
the background color from white to black.

Further proof of Earth Hour's change in direction came when it was announced
its global headquarters was moving from Sydney to Singapore. A launch event
took place at ION Orchard on February 20, where it was announced that the
move was supported by Singapore's Economic Development Board (EDB).