[Buddha-l] query about a term in Japanese zen, translated as "soul" in one text.

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 09:20:09 MDT 2012

This book may be of interest:
Jungnok Park "How Buddhism Acquired a Soul on the Way to China"
<http://www.equinoxpub.com/equinox/books/showbook.asp?bkid=512&keyword=soul>

Publisher's Description:
"Why did some Buddhist translators in China interpolate terms
designating an agent which did not appear in the original texts?

The Chinese made use of raw material imported from India; however,
they added some “seasonings” peculiar to China and developed their own
“recipes” about how to construct the ideas of Buddhism. While Indian
Buddhists constructed their ideas of self by means of empiricism,
anti-Brahmanism and analytic reasoning, the Chinese Buddhists
constructed their ideas of self by means of non-analytic insights,
utilising pre-established epistemology and cosmogony. Furthermore,
many of the basic renderings had specific implications that were
peculiar to China. For example, while shen in philosophical Daoism
originally signified an agent of thought, which disintegrates after
bodily death, Buddhists added to it the property of permanent
existence. Since many Buddhists in China read the reinterpreted term
shen with the implications of the established epistemology and
cosmogony, they came to develop their own ideas of self.

After the late 6C, highly educated Buddhist theorists came to avoid
including the idea of an imperishable soul in their doctrinal system.
However, the idea of a permanent agent of perception remained vividly
alive even during the development of Chinese Buddhism after the 7C."