[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 13 15:46:56 MDT 2012

In a message dated 3/13/2012 4:33:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sallymcara at gmail.com writes:

I thoroughly recommend it for getting an insight into the  problems
relating to divisive generalisations such as the labels  "western
Buddhist" and "ethnic" Buddhist. "Westerners" also have ethnicity,  but
they often don't see it, they just think they are "normal" and  others
are "different".
Hickey also discusses how privilege is often  missed by those who have
it, but rarely missed by those who don't have it!  It so happens I'm
struggling to finish a survey article which has a section  on the
literature about typologies for describing the diversity of  Buddhism,
and Hickey's article is helpful to me in clarifying some of  the
complexities (a few others I found are also good, but am  mentioning
her as she addresses racism and diversity in a way that would  be
helpful for Jack).
=======
I have found it awkward to use Ethnic Buddhists and Western  Buddhists to
differentiate groups exhibiting different behaviors but  haven't found
anything better. But, they seem understood by most people. What  do you suggest?
Are you calling me a racist?

Jack