[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 13 15:39:18 MDT 2012

In a message dated 3/13/2012 4:06:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rhayes at unm.edu writes:

> It has been my experience, limited though it might be, that  the Western
> Buddhists I know follow the 8-Fold Path while ethnic  Buddhists I know do
> not.

Just out of curiosity, which angas of  the eightfold path do you see
people not following? Are you claiming they  don't follow these limbs at
all, or that they are just not very good at  them, or that they are
totally ignorant of what the limbs of the eightfold  path are, or
something else? I am curious what exactly the observation  you're making is.
===============================
Here in the Chicago area and in other areas of the U.S. I have  visited,
few ethnic Buddhists meditate, i.e., the mental development segment  of the
8-Fold Path: right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration.  The
trend I see is that local Buddhist organizations such as Korean Zen,  Thera.
Buddhists and so on split into two groups. The ethnic groups go to  devotional
events but never go to meditation retreats or sessions. In a local  Thai
Buddhist center few of the ethnic monks meditate. Any meditation session  will
consist entirely or almost entirely of Westerners. Have you observed
something differently?

I am not saying one has to meditate to be a Buddhist.

Jack