[Buddha-l] The sack of Kapilavastu

David Living aryacitta at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:16:17 MDT 2012

I've recently heard 2 slightly conflicting stories about the demise of the Buddha's homeland at the hands of Ajatasatru or is it Vidudabha!?
One is that it happened when the Buddha was still alive and the other is that it happened after he died. Is there any way of finding out the true story? The reason it is "importantish" is that if it happened while he was alive then its a less than glorious solution than the earlier episode when the Buddha manages to talk the Shakyans out of going to war with their neighbours over sharing the water.

I also read the demise of the Shakyan confeds was due to them sending him a slave girl to marry the powerful neighbouring king instead of real Shakyan nobility.

Anyway if anyone has a definitive and well informed take on this I'd be pleased to hear from them.

Dave Living/Aryacitta