[Buddha-l] Christendom vs Buddhism in Cambodia

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jul 2 07:46:39 MDT 2012

On Jul 2, 2012, at 1:23 AM, Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn at gmail.com> wrote:

> There was also a Canadian Jesuit, Father William
> Joseph Mackey S.J.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Mackey_%28priest%29>, who was
> active in establishing schools in Bhutan. While he supposedly didn't
> convert anyone - some of his colleagues did.

I thought the Jesuits were best known for converting to the religions of the people with whom they interacted. Isn't that why they're so often running afoul of the Vatican?

Just out of curiosity, Chris, is there a noticeable Mormon presence in Bhutan? Just about every place I have traveled I have bumped into a few tall, blonde, athletic men barely old enough to shave, yet wearing badges on their chests identifying them as Elder Whoever. They excel in offering free English lessons and warning the natives of the evils of tea, coffee and Coca-Cola. Mormon missionaries have even reached such remote parts of the world as New Mexico, so I would expect them to be swarming all over Bhutan.

Elder R. Hayes
Church of Gautama Buddha of Latter Day Bodhisattvas