[Buddha-l] {Theravada, Pali, Cambodia} the embryo in the canon (and in current ritual traditions)

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jan 25 14:45:33 MST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com [mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Eisel Mazard
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:53 PM
To: Buddhist discussion forum
Subject: [Buddha-l] {Theravada, Pali, Cambodia} the embryo in the canon (and in current ritual traditions)

Three very different articles dealing with the intersecting issues alluded to in the subject line:

(1)
Steven PRIGENT : Un fœtus humain pour amulette, la règle de filiation khmère à l'aune d'une rumeur cambodgienne Péninsule 62, 2011 http://peninsule.free.fr/pages/peninsule_62pag.html

(2)
Mathieu Boisvert, "Conception and intrauterine life in the Pāli canon", Sciences religieuses / Studies in Religion, vol. 29, no 3, 2000, p. 301-311.
http://www.wlu.ca/press/Journals/sr/issues/29_3/boisvert.shtml

(3)
Eisel Mazard (i.e., me)
http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2011/01/27/unpopular-facts-about-one-of-buddhist-philosophys-most-popular-doctrines/

I mention my own work here to provide a comparative reference as to the specific issue of the gandhabba in the process of incarnation (in
§2 of the essay) --i.e., an interesting contrast to Boisvert's treatment of the same issue(s).  I read both (1) and (2) subsequent to authoring (3); although I was familiar with the sources Boisvert discusses within the /suttapitaka/, I had not read the passages he takes from other (Pali) sources (Mil., etc.).

As discussed throughout my (long) essay "Canon and Reason", the phenomena of contemporary Cambodian religion are discussed by anthropologists without recourse to canonical comparisons.  And that's a shame.

E.M.

Interesting topic, Eisel. You wrote: "As discussed throughout my (long) essay "Canon and Reason", the phenomena of contemporary Cambodian religion are discussed by anthropologists without recourse to canonical comparisons."
	Please cite at least a few of the anthropologists you refer to here--

Thanks,
Joanna K.