[Buddha-l] More on the biology of politics

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Mon Jan 23 20:29:13 MST 2012

This morning, I was distracted by the appended (linked) press release -- too
much of which seemed about an implied immutable -- the idealogical brain.

While differences between conservatives and liberals may be due to some
extent to relative sensitivities to rewards or punishments, life experiences
(conditioned mind, learning) seem more significant (to me).
For instance, families favoring recognition of 'negatives' train
'conservatives', who differ according to their biological sensitivity as
well as other experiences (training). And so on.

Recognition of real differences could lead to minimizing conflicts by
broadening the figurative vision of both types -- that is, training each,
including children, to expand their 'reality'. However, one type will be
more predisposed to permanence <g>.

Aside, for amusement: Milk chocolate banned at KU lunch room --
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/jan/23/100-years-ago-milk-chocolate-banned
-ku-lunch-room/

Richard Basham

[..........]
The study, funded in part by the National Science Foundation, is in a
forthcoming edition of the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal
Society B and was authored by Dodd, Hibbing and Smith, as well as UNL's
Amanda Balzer, Carly Jacobs and Michael Gruszczynski.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-01/uon-tbo010412.php

Strikes me as these behaviors are based on the familiar habit of
name-calling (or labeling),
plus operations of the 'either-or' mentality, instead of the 'both-and'
mentality.

Joanna
(I don't see the need for full names and official affiliations on Buddha
hell--some of us have neither, anyway.)