[Buddha-l] Students as potential spooks?

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Sun Jan 22 11:05:38 MST 2012

On Jan 22, 2012, at 8:18 AM, sjziobro at cs.com wrote:

> Richard, this sort of recruitment has been going on for over 50 years.
I'm surprised you've only now become acquainted with the effort.

I knew the CIA was recruiting people in the 1960s when I was an
undergraduate, so it's not that this is news to me. But the fact remains
that I find it disgusting and disheartening, just as I find it disgusting
that the only way that many students in a poor state can afford an education
is to sell their bodies and minds to the military.

Richard Hayes
----------------------------------

Book recomm.:
http://www.tomdispatch.com/books/175465/the_united_states_of_fear/
And his other discussions online.

Looks to me that everyone with any brain and awareness at all is clear about
what has happened to our country--that it has gone fascistoid. The current
president is unable to deal with any of it, choosing instead to feather his
nest for the future by cultivating Wall St pals, just like some of his
predecessors.  Nader is right: there is no difference, yet the only move to
create a third party with any chance of minimal clout is radical libertarian
(Ron Paul). In my view, his views aren't the answer, except for his anti-war
stance.  This country will soon be up against the wall for the next decade
unless the grosser hegemonic malfunctions get straightened out.

Compare the Occupy actions with the Arab Spring actions in Cairo. Both were
organized and run by youths. Where did they get? Nowhere. The Salafi and
Brotherhood Arabs in Egypt allowed the youth to take the actions and deaths
and the s--t in the streets long enough to dump Mubarak. That done, the
country elected the above parties who have _no desire_ to get rid of
military rule there. Meanwhile, our Occupy-ers simply have either folded
their tents, or spend their time fighting the cops and sanitation patrols.
Occupy never had a focal point of concern compared to what the Cairo demos
finally developed: theirs was _civil rights and dump Mubarak_.  Because of
their silliness and hippy "it's all good" mentality, the Occupy-ers were
incapable of even representing a force for change because who could take
them seriously? (Occupy's incapable thought processes, of course, have been
instilled by decades of ineffective public schooling and consumerist
delusions.)

The military option of governance is slowly taking over the world. It's now
visible in Asia, SE and South Asia, Africa, in some parts of Central and
South America, NE Asia as well. The US has hundreds of military bases
everywhere they're allowed. They were established ostensibly to promote
"democracy," but as we all know, they do nothing but promote military
solutions. The military industry economy is huge. Probably today the US has
the biggest segment of it.

Why aren't _we_ getting it?

Joanna