[Buddha-l] query about a term in Japanese zen, translated as "soul" in one text.

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Mon Jan 16 06:57:22 MST 2012

Looks to me like the term tamashi is equivalent to the Indian term jiiva.
They seem to have thoroughly changed the aatman idea. In India that idea--of
the selfish ego-- if I recall rightly, is represented by ahamkaara.

In "western" discourse, the term soul seems to me to be so influenced by
western religious traditions that its utility in Buddhism is questionable
(that is, unless some Buddhist tradition uses the term the same way we use
it. They do it vernacularly in Burma with the "butterfly spirit", which is
the entity that transmigrates). Westerners tend to think of soul as a
something, an entity, so IMO it can't be used to represent the idea of
aatman. I'd hope that "soul" would be discarded in favor of retaining the
Indian term in English discourse. "Spirit" would suffice as a translation of
jiiva.
Yes indeed, translation tends to become, as the founder of the Calcutta
Writers Workshop, P. Lal preferred to call it, "transcreation."

Joanna