[Buddha-l] query about a term in Japanese zen, translated as "soul" in one text.

sjziobro at cs.com sjziobro at cs.com
Sun Jan 15 11:39:59 MST 2012

Joanna,

I am not responding to your informative post, but responding to the original inquiry, presuming that it has yet to be answered.  The term translated as "soul" was most likely "tamashii" (魂).  This terms refers to the animating principle of a living being.  It can also connote the psyche or the spirit.  Since the advent of Christianity to Japan in the mid-sixteenth century A.D. a Sino-Japanese composite has also been used, "reikon" (霊魂).  This term connotes what 霊魂 connotes, and it can be used to translate "jiva."  "Rei" (霊) by itself can connote numen, spirit (pneuma).  I'll check some of my specifically Japanese Buddhist dictionaries for these terms.

Regards,

Stan Ziobro