[Buddha-l] more tibetan self-immolations

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Sun Jan 15 10:32:21 MST 2012

On 08/01/2012, Ngawang Dorje <rahula_80 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The West was once feudal too. Feudal or not, it doesn't undermine the
> rights of a nation to self-determination.

Yes. I live in Bhutan, which right up into the 1960's had a "feudal"
like system similar to that of Tibet. Over the last 50 years Bhutan has
managed to transform itself into a democracy with good free education, free
health care and so on without being "liberated" by the Chinese or anyone
else. It is not perfect of course, but people have their culture and
religion and enjoy a standard of living that is now better than in most
neighbouring countries.

Had the Tibetans been left alone it is likely that something similar would
have happened there without them having to suffer the wholesale destruction
of their culture, religion and environment that has occurred under their
Chinese "liberators" and colonizers.
"Had the Tibetans been left alone it is likely that something similar would
have happened there without them having to suffer the wholesale destruction
of their culture, religion and environment that has occurred under their
Chinese "liberators" and colonizers."

Chris, thanks for this. My thought exactly.
Before he fled into exile, HHDL was already getting modernized, so to speak.
Joanna