[Buddha-l] more tibetan self-immolations

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Jan 11 16:11:45 MST 2012

Hi all,

>> Hmmm seems like noone wants to touch this Palestinian thing
>
> The list is called buddha-l, not israe-l.

Where is Dan Lusthaus when you need him?

I'll just throw in my two bits: If the Palestinians had been led by a figure similar to the XIV Dalai Lama, rather than Yasser Arafat (et al.), can anyone doubt they'd be in a VASTLY better position than they are now? Surely, a little more ahimsa would have gained them a little more international support. And, since Israel itself cannot exist without international support, the Palestinians would have benefitted from this change in the international climate. Further, when you're occupied and dominated by Israel (and this claim is itself already debatable) you have reason for hope; when you're occupied and dominated by China, well, good luck. The Palestinians had choices and made bad ones. The Tibetans, not so much. While I denounce the West Bank settlements (as do many Israelis), comparing the ills of the Palestinians to the ills of the Tibetans ignores their own responses to their predicaments over the last 30 years.

Mandatory Buddhist content: I've long wondered if the notion of karma can properly be applied to nations. If it can, then surely the lack of progress for the Palestinians illustrates the karmic effects of their violent actions. On the other hand, what about the karmic effects of non-violent actions in the Tibetan case? Doesn't seem fair, does it? The more I think about karma, the more I think Stephen Bachelor has it right.

Franz