[Buddha-l] Check out The Right's Stupidity Spreads

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Feb 12 12:46:53 MST 2012

On Feb 12, 2012, at 10:25 AM, sjziobro at cs.com wrote:

> This is a huge intrusion of the State upon the constitutionally guaranteed free exercise of religion.

To tell the truth, Stan, I'm actually completely in favor of the state intruding on organized religion. (I have to tell the truth, because you apparently missed my irony.)

People should be allowed to worship as they please at home and in whatever they want to call their assembly halls, but schools, hospitals, clinics, prisons and other public welfare institutions should be 100% in the control of the state and wrested out of the hands of both religious and commercial enterprises. Health, education and welfare are far too important to be left in the hands of ideologues and profit-takers.

The cult of the false goddess Liberty in the United States is probably the single greatest threat to the survival of the country. Why should people be free to be greedy and stupid and armed? It makes no sense at all. One of the worst mistakes made in the history of the US (aside from the failure to ban slavery immediately) was the decision to allow religious schools, private schools and home schooling. It has pretty much guaranteed an ideologically divided society with hardly any sense of common purpose, and with no sense of shared history.

Hell's bells, any Buddhist could have told you America was on the wrong course the minute a bunch of ruffians dumped tea in the Boston harbor. No country that wastes tea can end up well. Just ask Eisai.

Richard Hayes
(Educator dedicated to indoctrinating our nation's youth until they see the folly of organized religion and of voting for morons like Rick Santorum, and Mormons like Mitt Romney)