[Buddha-l] Open Acess Academic Publishing

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Sat Feb 11 12:26:37 MST 2012

Am 11.02.2012 17:20, schrieb Richard Basham:

> The Other Academic Freedom Movement:
> How Scientists Broke Through the Paywall and Made Their Articles
> Available to (Almost) Everyone.
> Slate  By Konstantin Kakaes  Feb. 9, 2012 ...
> The arXiv, as it came to be
> known, was by then used widely in physics; some mathematicians and
> computer scientists had also started using it.

Dear all,

as a mathematical physicist I'm using arXiv all the time.
But now the CERN (the originator of the http-communication) has invented a
new publication-modell: SCOAP3 (Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access
Publishing in Particle Physics)   http://scoap3.org .
This is a partnership programm with some publishers, in which the
distribution of the articles takes place according Open Access rules and the
publishers are only paid for the organisation of the peer reviewing.

bernhard

--
http://www.mb-schiekel.de/
GPG-Key available: GnuPG-2.0.12

Slowly but surely the cooperation of scientists and other researchers will
break through the
iron law of control by the biggest publishers.

Joanna