[Buddha-l] ADMIN> Basic points for posting on, > H-Buddhism (Muller)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Feb 4 19:19:08 MST 2012

On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:28 , Alberto Todeschini wrote:

> I choose to receive Buddha-L's messages in digest
> form and the few people who top post make reading an inconvenience.

The most readable way of responding to a post is to delete everything except the passage to which one wishes to respond, and to place one's response immediately below each quoted passage. The maximally annoying and bandwidth-wasting way of responding is to quote a long message in its entirety and then to add a short response, such as "I agree."

Having said that, I have experienced some web-based e-mail programs that do not have a convenient mechanism for deleting parts of a quote message. If one is going to respond at all, one must repost all or none of the message responded to. Whoever designs such mail programs should perhaps be given an extended vacation in Guantánamo Bay, given that they are listserv terrorists.

Richard Hayes