[Buddha-l] Right Speech?

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Wed Aug 8 17:44:30 MDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com
[mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Curt Steinmetz
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:32 PM
To: Buddhist discussion forum
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Right Speech?

On 8/8/12 4:13 PM, Jo wrote:
> Hi Curt,
> Please post the name of the "once prominent organization of
> dissidents-in-exile".

Hi Joanna,

This was an intentional oversight on my part, to draw attention to the
sloppy nature of the "evidence" presented by Fisher & Co. in support of
their smears against SE Asian Buddhists.

But having made the point, here is the information (which is quite possibly
unknown to Fisher and the signers of the open letter - I wouldn't be
surprised):

The article is titled "Buddhist Monks Call For Muslim Community To Be
Shunned". This article appeared in the Juy 25 edition of "The Independent".
The author is Hanna Hindstrom, an London born activist with the Oslo based
"Democratic Voice of Burma". If you google "democratic voice of burma
financial scandal" you will find that various high ranking officials
resigned from DVB last year due to a financial scandal. If one does a little
more snooping around one find other articles with titles such as "Changes in
Myanmar have exiles abroad facing obsolescence", by Thomas Fuller of the New
York Times News Service, in which Fuller writes, "The dissident business may
soon be out of business: money is drying up, an diplomats would now rather
fly to Myanmar than lunch with exiled dissidents...." [Taipei Times, Feb.
26, 2012]

Curt
----------------------------

Thanks, Curt. This resource, _Irawaddy,_ run by Burmans in exile and maybe
today not always in exile, is better than the _Independent_ in UK :

http://www.irrawaddy.org/archives/11039
COMMENTARY
Muslims in Burma - A Struggle to Live with Dignity and Respect
By AUNG ZAW / THE IRRAWADDY| August 7, 2012 |
Part one of two.

I go here first whenever I want to check up what's going on in Burma or on
Burma.

Best,
Joanna