[Buddha-l] Buddhists taking a stand against Islamaphobia

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 8 08:11:33 MDT 2012

On Aug 8, 2012, at 3:41 AM, "Dan Lusthaus" <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dignaga, et al. pointed out long
> ago, there is a difference between sensation (pratyaksa, which serves up
> reality) and conceptualization about reality (anumana, etc.).

I think Dan is thinking of Dharmakīrti, not Dignāga. Dharmakīrti associates sensation with ultimate truth and inference with conventional truth, but Dignāga claims that the very ideas of truth and falsity arise only in kalpanā, which by his definition does not take place in sensation. Sensation is reality-neutral for Dignāga.

Richard Hayes