[Buddha-l] Buddha-l settings

Dayāmati Richard Hayes dayamati at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 22:21:50 MDT 2012

For those of you who do want to weigh in with your preferences for buddha-l settings, let me outline some of the considerations that have been made in the past.

The ability to use italics would enable people to cite book titles and foreign words in the same way they do in print.

The ability to embed images could enhance communication of some topics. Maps, photos, scanned texts and so on have enriched such discussion forums as Indology.

People who have argued against allowing HTML have pointed out that people who have slow connections can get be seriously inconvenience by large messages. Some have pointed out that HTML and JPEG and PDF can be used to hide malware.

The thing to consider in this as in all things is whether the advantages of HTML outweigh the inconveniences and risks. In the past I have favored keeping Buddha-l slim and trim, but my reasons for doing so may be antiquated and quaint.

Richard