[Buddha-l] Buddhists taking a stand against Islamaphobia

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Aug 4 14:47:36 MDT 2012

On Aug 4, 2012, at 2:18 PM, "Jo" <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:

> What I sent via HTML came out perfectly formatted.

The Buddha-l listserve strips out all HTML code and creates a plain text message, which has no carriage returns. What makes some Buddha-l messages ugly is that some mail programs interpret soft text wrapping in plain text as hard carriage returns.

I'm probably oversimplifying or otherwise distorting how all this works, but the main point is that if you send an HTML message expecting to see italics or bold or other formatting, you'll be disappointed. And if your mailer does not automatically send out a plain message along with the HTML, the message could become garbled as Buddha-l brutally strips out HTML code.

Of course Buddha-l could be reconfigured to accept HTML so that people could send nicely formatted messages with colored texts on stationary background and embedded pictures and all kinds of other completely useless ornamentation. If people want that, I am pretty sure it could be provided. Just let me know your preference by writing directly to me (NOT to Buddha-l).

Richard (rhayes at unm.edu)