[Buddha-l] Buddhists taking a stand against Islamaphobia

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 4 06:22:00 MDT 2012

Op 4-8-2012 2:38, Andy Stroble schreef:
>> Oh, for heaven's sakes, Andy. There is no such thing as truth independent
>> of something thinking it so. Truth is a property of propositions, and
>> propositions are mental events, not things in the world.
>>
>> Richard Hayes
>>

> No!  that can't be right! Truth is  the versimillitudinous correlation
> between our representations of reality and the real reality as it really
> is.   Anyone who says otherwise must be trying to attack the  truth, or at
> the very least is being disagreeable by suggesting that our reality is not
> really real.
First of all, Andy, the correlation theory of truth is under heavy
criticism and possibly even completely outdated. Secondly the word
'verisimilitude' you use is quite interesting because it is a
combination of two Latin words: veritas, which means truth ans
similitudo, which means likeness, and cannot be thought without the
concept of truth, because an untrue likeness is no likeness at all. So
your definition is begging the question and therefore completely
mistaken. In fact it is an attack at truth itself.
Any slight attempt at meditation will teach you BTW that our reality is
anything but real. Oh, and before I forget: Santaclaus does not live at
the North Pole.

> (By the way,  I am interested in what it is that Defenders of the Faith, or
> dharma-protectors and dharmapalas, actually are alleged to do.)
In addition to what Richard already wrote: Dharmapalas have also a huge
task in attracting tourists and providing a suitable background for
photographs with children.

Erik