[Buddha-l] Buddhists taking a stand against Islamophobia

Tim Cahill tccahill at loyno.edu
Fri Aug 3 10:14:54 MDT 2012

Franz, Richard and everybody else!

Regarding this exchange:

Second, on what grounds can one say that an arhant's actions are different in their consequences from anyone else's.

Just that an arahant is one who no longer produces karma. Thus, de jure, an arahant's actions must not create suffering. As I agreed, this is pure dogma.

  I'm not too sure about what "de jure" means in this context.   From a
few examples I think I recall that some ancient Buddhists acknowledge
that an arahant's actions might create suffering (de facto?), but they
nevertheless do not produce karma.

I have to agree with Richard that Mahāvīra did not counsel suicide.  But
I think the primary intention of desisting completely from harming
others is mukti.  The fact that other living beings benefit from this is
great --surely a very noble secondary!  Paul Dundas notes that an
enlightened Jain may still walk, preach and meditate, but no new karma
results --and it's impossible for such a person to do violence, even
involuntarily.  (Some might see that last part as dogma!)

best,
Tim Cahill