[Buddha-l] Buddhists taking a stand against Islamaphobia

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Aug 2 12:28:13 MDT 2012

Andy,

Okay, the question was for Gary, who is quite able to answer it for himself. Indeed, I hope you will, Gary. Still, I have a minute and can't resist observing that, though speaking truth to power will surely cause suffering, the fundamental questions of whether to speak are still of a) intent, and b) relative amounts of suffering. All acts (except those of an arahant) cause suffering, yet the Buddha did not counsel suicide (as did the Mahavira). In the case of speech, he counseled thus:

If it's not true, not beneficial, and disagreeable, don't say it.
If it's true, not beneficial, and disagreeable, don't say it.
If it's true, beneficial, and disagreeable, know when to say it.
If it's not true, not beneficial, and agreeable, don't say it.
If it's true, not beneficial, and agreeable, don't say it.
If it's true, beneficial, and agreeable, know when to say it.
--(from MN 58, rather broadly paraphrased)

So, disagreeable speeches and speech acts are still, at times, permissible. We can speak truth to power, and we can certainly speak out against injustice. We just need to do so skillfully.

Franz
(who wonders whether he just did so!)