[Buddha-l] Wealth vs. compassion

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 03:41:05 MDT 2012

They needed to do research to figure out that? The wealthy can afford
to be selfish but poorer people often need to need to rely on each
other - and so generally have more empathy for those in a similar or
worse situation than themselves.

The part about the luxury car car drivers made me grimace - In
developing countries drivers of *any* kind of car rarely look out for
pedestrians who, because they are walking obviously belong to some
lesser class and so don't matter.

In Buddhist countries many seem to have the attitude that people with
money have more "merit". When a poor person gets to meet a rich one
they will always take a gift, perhaps hoping that some of this "merit"
will rub off on them. Of course they rarely get anything worth while
in return.

As I grow older I find inequity more and more intolerable - but there
is less and less time to do
anything about it.  All beings want happiness - and although the
Buddha taught a way to end suffering, no one can really practice
Buddhism if they are struggling to put a roof over their heads or to
find the next meal.

- Chris