[Buddha-l] The Universe Story

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 17 00:51:34 MDT 2012

Op 17-04-12 02:53, Richard Hayes schreef:
> On Apr 16, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Erik Hoogcarspel<jehms at xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>
>> Don't get me wrong, I'm not against ambition, but the universe is to big
>> for a story.
> According to Thomas Berry, the universe itself IS the story. It is not a story we human beings are telling about it; it's a story being told to us, to which we should listen. Berry was strongly influenced by Teilhard de Chardin, some of whose books were banned by the Vatican. I always have time to listen to anyone banned by the Vatican.

The universe is what we totalize as a unity made up by all events we
think have take place and expect to take place in the future. It is not
even a thing, let alone someone who is telling anything. It is not a
story. Since humans are part of the universe the story would have to
tell itself to a part of itself, this is very complicated.
As to influences: who cares? Is a person not responsible for his own words?

Erik, admirer of Pyrrho who kept on story telling long after the his
audience had left.