[Buddha-l] Rice & Dragons

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Mon Apr 16 13:14:40 MDT 2012

One person who has written a fair amount Buddhist dalits is Barbara Joshi,
but I'm not sure how much she has addressed the question you specifically
asked about dalit Buddhists and Baruas.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico

Yes. There's Barbara Joshi; I forgot also to mention a sociologist who has
devoted her career to Dalit studies, Gail Omvedt. She became an Indian
citizen and has participated in the various defamatory aspects of Dalit
lives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gail_Omvedt

(This bit came as a shock: "She has on occasion supported big-dam
projects[3] and GMO crops.[4][5]"  She's a far-leftie, they usually go for
giant development projects and or anything they think will provide
employment. (Many anthropologists and activists both in India and the US
deplore the damming of major rivers.)  However, GMO does none of
that--Madhya Pradesh and other farmers are committing suicide because of
indebtedness to Monsanto seeds and the illegality of saving seed, causing
them to go into endless debt to buy new every year. A drastic imposition by
the capitalist class on India's food producers. Hard to understand why a
leftie like Gail didn't see through this!)

Joanna