[Buddha-l] Rice & Dragons

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Mon Apr 16 09:11:05 MDT 2012

> 396
> I don't call one a brahman
> for being born of a mother
> or sprung from a womb.
> He's called a 'bho-sayer'
> if he has anything at all.
> But someone with nothing,
> who clings to no thing:
> 	he's what I call a brahman.
>

> Also, some scholars claim that the majority of the Buddha's followers were kshatriyas and vaishyas.

Perhaps the downplay of the caste system was a more important factor in the disappearance of Buddhism in India than the introduction of the Islam. The Islam formed casts in its own circles and thrived.
Anti-cast feelings never were popular with the rich and in general it seems to be part of the Indian lifestyle. The strong rationalist anti-caste movement in Tamil Nadu shrunk short after its leader Periyar died.

Erik

Yes indeed, from what I've read many scholars share this view.
Christianity also is 'anti-casteism,' but Indian Christians are divided into castes, with the usual social consequences.
I'm not aware of any published social research on the Boruas, Buddhists of Bengal, Theravadins-- do they also practice caste division/exclusion and old Hindu purity rituals? Can Dalits, for ex., convert to Buddhism there and be accepted by the Boruas?

Joanna