[Buddha-l] Rice & Dragons

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 15 16:22:38 MDT 2012

Artur,

> When one reads you, one forms the impression that the early Islamists
> must have had some special problem with the Buddhists - they must have
> hated them so much that they would kind of have to exterminate them on
> sight.
>
> The question is: why? Ideology? Some other deep concerns?

Artur, as we all know, "why" questions have multiple facets. Those prone to
economic reductionism would try to focus primarily on competition for trade
routes; reductionists favoring machismo pride, or conceive of making
political bones by going out and conquering some neighbors will recite the
military adventures, with their spoils and jockeying for power back home and
among rivals; those focused exclusively on ideology will see monotheistic
intolerance of otherness at play; and so on.

We can flip the question around -- having the advantage of nearly 1500 years
of history to provide data, trends, overviews, and, in the case, final
conclusions -- and simply note that where Buddhists use to be and flourished
that Islam successfully established itself, Buddhism is no more. Now, the
question would be "why", and this would be equally multifaceted. So let's
look at specific cases, events, things that actually happened, one by one,
if necessary, and see what actually DID happen, rather than speculate and,
as someone else is trying to do, avoid and undermine the facts by impugning
questionable motives to those seeking to offer the facts.

In the two messages containing links, several types of information were
being offered, as well as some background on the types of scholarship and
availability of materials that exist for this material.

I hinted at, but did not go into detail, on the fact that online sources,
such Wikipedia, are being monitored by people who are expunging materials
and information that might reflect badly on Islam. I use the word
"expunging" because even a year or two ago that information WAS available on
Wikipedia and elsewhere, for instance in the entries on

> Were the Buddhists as such the object of the Islamic aggression, or,
> rather, some political entities, that may have been ruled by the
> Buddhists?
>
> Why singling them out?

The first answer, to paraphrase sir Hillary, is because they were there. The
Jains who had also ventured out the northwest passages were also utterly
decimated. In fact, one way -- indirect but very illuminative -- for
answering these sorts of questions is to look at how Jains in India
weathered Islam and remade themselves to accomodate Islam rulers and spare
themselves the fate they saw befall the Buddhists. In Paul Dundee's book on
the Jains, he doesn't dwell on this, but he does provide important
information, since this powerfully transformed the nature of Jainism, almost
eliminating its severe ascetic practices in favor of a laity devoted to
scrupulously honest and reliable business and service. It is not until
modern times that Jains began to look back and try to recover their
forgotten past -- in theory and practice. The decimation of Buddhism (yes,
some tiny pockets out of the glaring mainstream managed to survive here and
there, but pretending that Buddhism survived in India is like pretending the
Aztecs survived in Mexico).

But I find it curious that in response to your questions about Buddhists in
Central Asia, I primarily provided some materials documenting their presence
in various places in central and western asia (far from exhaustive or
comprehensive, but things readily documentable with online sources),
mentioned Java (since it had been mentioned by others), but the responses to
my posting tended to demand discussion (and presume I had provided some
theory or story) of the demise of Buddhism in India, which was mentioned in
passing, but was NOT what I discussed. I gave one Indian example, Vallabhi,
which was a thriving monastic center for Jains and Buddhists, that was
decimated in the 8th c by an invading Muslim army. I mentioned it because,
while apologetics for why it happened are advanced by some, no one denies it
happened (unlike the whitewash about Nalanda that ignores the Tibetan eye
witness accounts). And, it shows that when it came to killing defenseless
monastics, Jains were the same as Buddhists to Muslims at that time. The
EARLY date is also signifcant. Even if that only happened once (which it
didn't -- as I also documented), that would be something significant to
think about.

> Nothing of the sort with the polytheistic Hindus.

That's simply not true. Read Eaton carefully, especially his later works. He
has charts of the multitudes of documented destructions of Hindu temples,
which, although he is a "minimizer," as I noted previously, he grows to
acknowledge more and more over time. Rest assured when the decimations took
place the local populace did come out with picnic baskets and lunch to
leisurely watch the proceedings. They defended their sacred places, and paid
for that (the sort of inconvenient facts downplayed in statistical charts).

Again, one size doesn't fit all, so one needs to look at history event by
event. There are good time, bad times, accomodations, decimations,
tolerance, and ethnic cleansings. Not all at the same time in the same
place, but over the course. The closer and more thoroughly one looks at
specific situations, the more complex and multifaceted they become. For
instance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moplah_Rebellion

(and for an example of a truncated Wikipedia entry, note where the timeline
ends in this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mappila_riots )

> Thanks for the links. Although, to tell you the truth, they aren't new
> to me, I have already been there. And I can recognize them for what
> they in reality are. Richard Eaton’s works convince me better. Hard
> facts do convince me, as a rule.

Are you referring to the links from Encyclopaedia Iranica? You would be the
first person to consider that a Hindutva enterprise!

I sent a variety of types of links, with some comments about the types of
scholarship involved. I consider most of the Wikipedia entries strategically
expurgated, and hinted at that. I did NOT include really flaky extremist
views on either side, such as
http://www.islamandbuddhism.com/
http://www.islamawareness.net/Buddhism/
(and there are similar sites typically citing the same "facts" all over the
web, in many languages)

contrast this with:
http://www.islambuddhism.com/

One side wants to accomodate, the other to fully delegitimize and eliminate.
Just a few marginal crazies? Are there any Zen centers in Riyadh?

> <<Harshavardhana died in about 647 AD. After his death there was
> disorder in Northern India.

Of course, vulnerabilities of various sorts (which included political
instablities and infighting between Indic states and clans) play a role.
Indian defenses against invaders, going back to Alexander and maybe earlier,
largely depended on the invaders coming from a long distance, so that by the
time they arrived to invade India, their supply lines and support systems
were too stretched and thin, which Indians could exploit (cf, Russia against
Napolean or Germany). Hence the initial Muslim forrays into India were not
to conquer, but quick incisive strikes, like at Vallabhi, for booty and/or
decimation. So Indians could continue to bicker, thinking they could pull
together long enough to repel invaders. Once the Muslims consolidated the
northwest, and controlled the trade routes, that "natural" defense no longer
worked. By the time Indians awoke to the new reality, Muslims controlled
many parts of India, and Buddhists were no more.

Sankara did nothing to eliminate Buddhism (except swipe some ideas from
it),.In fact, most major Hindu schools have tried to take credit for
Buddhism's demise. This is not new, and is even more pronounced now than
some years ago, though the claims are quite old. The Nyaiyikas claim that
the arguments in their text Atmatattvaviveka shut the Buddhists up once and
for all; Kashmir Shaivites claim Abhinavagupta's philosophy defeated the
Buddhists; and on and on. The argument that Bhakti killed Buddhism is
another species of the same idea -- ignoring the major currents of bhakti in
Buddhist tantra, stotra, etc. etc. All that tells us is that Hindus were
glad those thorn-in-their-sides Buddhists were gone, and explains partly why
they didn't do more to defend the Buddhists. Religious alliances shifted in
places -- one can sometimes see it directly in the surviving architecture,
as in some of the surviving temple ruins at Nagarjunakonda, where Jain
iconography sits atop Buddhist iconography on pillars and stones, both
eventually topped by Vaishnavite carvings, a kind of historical totem pole.

> And, in this context, I’d like to ask: what did it mean to be a
> Buddhist in early medieval India? Were local monasteries involved in
> performing the rites of passage for lay followers? If not – who was?
> Was the loss of contact with the monastery as a merit-field a dramatic
> experience? To the extent, that the lay followers would want to defend
> their monasteries from the depredations of the dharma enemies, Hindus
> or Muslims?

All interesting questions. Generally, fortune telling was largely the
provenance of Jains; Buddhists could conduct their own funerals. Marriages
were family/clan affairs, as were birth ceremonies (many of the "great"
Buddhists were not born Buddhists, so they had "Indic" childhoods). But
local customs varied greatly. Buddhism had centralized in "universities",
with massive libraries, and had coddled up to the ruling classes. When the
libraries and universities were destroyed (by guess who), and the ruling
classes overturned or replaced with rulers unsympathetic to Buddhism,
Buddhism's strength in centralization became a lethal weakness. That too,
however, is only a partial explanation.

Dan