[Buddha-l] Rice & Dragons

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Sun Apr 15 09:45:09 MDT 2012

These days Hindu involvement in Buddhism's disappearance in India seems to
get down played, while the role of the Muslim invaders who as you say
"finished the job" gets overplayed. In South India Adi Shankara and his
followers played a big role while Islam seems to have had little to do with
it.

Didn't Buddhism one flourish Ayodhya, a site associated with Asvaghosha and
Vasubandu? I sometimes  wonder if the Babri Mashid / Ramjanmabhumi might
have been a Buddhist temple before it was Hindu or Muslim.

- chris

Thanks for mentioning Adi Shankara..........very important force and
subsequent organisation for the destruction of Buddhism in south India.
The BJP line so far as citizens views go, as one Hindu nationalist told me,
seems to be that Buddhist doctrines were already in Hinduism. No need to
become a Buddhist if you like their doctrine.
We also know that the figure of the Buddha was added to the incarnations of
Vishnu.

Joanna