[Buddha-l] Decline of Buddhism in India

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Sat Apr 14 14:52:13 MDT 2012

My area is not Indian Buddhism, but I remember learning about 4 causes
for the decline of Buddhism in India after the 9th to 11th century.
I would deeply appreciate it if the Indian experts can share the latest
thinking on these.

1) Hindu _bhakti_ was growing strong after 5th century and this gave a
vitality to Hinduism that Buddhism lacked, and Buddhism became more
_bhakti_ and thus indistinguishable from Hinduism on the popular level
("folk religion," "little religion," etc.)

2) Socio-economic conditions where the rulers and wealthy landowners
supported Hinduism instead of Buddhism.

3) Isolation of Buddhist monasteries from the popular religion (although
I believe there are scholars who disagree with this).

4) Invasion of militant Islam which drove Buddhists into Tibet in the
north, and S.E. Asia in the south.

Are there other important causes?
Are any on this list (besides [3]) doubtful?
Thanks.
Bob Zeuschner
Dept. of Philosophy