[Buddha-l] New Generation of Western Buddhists? (Dan Lusthaus)

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 12 15:09:46 MDT 2011

On 12-09-11 20:37, Michael La Torra wrote:
> I attended the Buddhist Geeks Conference 2011 and found it very much worthwhile. It was not a gathering of scholars or followers, but of eager practitioners, mostly young, who are the fresh faces of Buddhism in the West.

You confuse me here Michael, the word 'Buddhist' used to mean: 'a
follower of the Buddha'. Maybe I was distracted for a moment and has the
word changed it's meaning without me being aware. So what is a Buddhist
these days? Being old school I am still so naïve to think that you
cannot be a Buddhist without taking refuge in the three jewels. But in
LA peoples minds are on roller skates.

erik