[Buddha-l] John McRae

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 24 08:05:33 MDT 2011

Those of you who have been Buddha-l subscribers since the beginning will recall the days when John McRae and Jan Nattier were regular contributors who regaled us with witty observations. I am very sad to report that John died this past weekend after a 16-month battle with pancreatic cancer. He was surrounded by family and friends in Bangkok in his last days and so died in an atmosphere of love. All of us who were fortunate to know John will miss him. Fortunately for all of us, he left a number of highly readable works on Chan Buddhism, including his translation of The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch. We send our heartfelt condolences to John's wife, Jan Nattier, and to his surviving family.

"Every meeting ends in a parting. Every life ends in death."

Richard