[Buddha-l] Bourgeous Buddhism: 'Buddhist' Identity

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 8 01:41:20 MDT 2011

On 07-10-11 23:25, Mahinda Deegalle wrote:
> This discussion on the 'Buddhist' identity is an interesting one. But it is also frustrating.
>

> 'Buddhist' identity itself is just another label; a useful label to creat narrow boxes. However, it is worth enquiring whether there is any space within what we identify as 'Buddhism' for holding exclusive views.
>

> In addition, do we have rights to exclude one person or a group and deny their existence labelling them as non-Buddhists or not 'real-Buddhists'?
>

> Does anybody have monopoly over 'Buddhist' identity? Is it not the case that Buddhism and the Buddha allow anyone to practice the Buddha's teaching in various degrees according their capacities and enthusiasm? Is not it the openness one of the key characteristics of being Buddhist?
>

> Is not the whole point of Buddhism is being open and enabling anyone to enter the practice of it? Who has rights to pass judgments on other's practice?
>
> Should we be fanatical about our own practice against some others? Is it a Buddhist thing to do?
The question contains it's own answer. We don't burn bad Buddhists or
heretics in order to save original pure Buddhism.
The problem is that we think to much with boxes and we imagine them to
be made from concrete and steel. If we think in networks the problem
vanishes. Buddhism is a network of interpretation, beit one with a fixed
centre: the middle way, dependend existence and the Four Fundamental
Facts. But the centre is at equal distance from all the extremities.

erik