[Buddha-l] Bourgeous Buddhism

David Living aryacitta at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 13:26:17 MDT 2011

> F wrote

> Ok, but it is a fact that Nichiren are buddhists? Or the concept of
> buddhism is not contradictory with, say, their reading of the Lotus
> Sutra? If not, what does happen to them?

I don't think they're real Buddhists - after all they just chant mantras and promise their disciples sports cars.
The Buddha didn't do that in fact he seemed to renounce consumerist values. Some basic Buddhist values I'd suggest are - ethical values based on right motive, an understanding of the importance of impermanence in the world we live in, avoidance of extreme views like eternalism or nihilism .... and compassion. The Buddha himself seems to have recommended that people avoided teachers and Buddhists who were unethical, manipulative and attached to worldly possessions. Anyone who calls themselves a Buddhist but doesn't practice Buddhist values is not a Buddhist. A Buddhist is as a Buddhist does - simple. Can't see what the fuss is about.

Aryacitta - Dave Living