[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Randall Jones randall.bernard.jones at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 15:05:33 MDT 2011

Stafan,

I was using "debate" rather informally. It was more like
theologically uninformed talk, really. And from this side of
childhood looking back it seems quite ridiculous. The question, of
course, was whether Catholics were real Christians - and it was a
community of Southern Baptists (those in my circle) who were asking
and answering this question.

Today I have no doubt Catholic and Southern Baptist both fall within
the reference of "Christian." I might also add that I have no more
doubt that, for example, Jodo Shinshu falls within the reference of
"Buddhist" (even "real Buddhism") than I have doubt that Catholic
falls within the reference of "Christian." Or Southern Baptist. Both
questions strike me as equally ridiculous.

I suppose I'm rather inclined to think anybody/group that says
they're Buddhist, are; anybody/group that says they're Christian,
are. Though my personal understanding, at this particular time, will
be quite different from many other Buddhists or Christians.

 > Exactly. This is how theology or any other discipline evolves:
through debate.

Which makes any claim that an initial or original teaching, teacher,
document, etc., represents a more "real" understanding rather
dubious, doesn't it? Unless, of course, one views the course of such
evolution of understanding as moving from light to darkness, and
certainly some do. But if that is the case, there's little point to
the "debate."

Even this one. Any at all.

Randall