[Buddha-l] Rare Footage of Tibetan Nun's Self-Immolation Smuggledout of Tibet

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Mon Nov 21 18:38:32 MST 2011

Hi Stefan,

Times change. As the Man said. It ALL changes.

OTOH, Tibetan Buddhists (speaking as an anthropologist here) tend to
consider their brand of Buddhism exceptional and worth preserving.  I have
no problem with that because I see it also among Theravadist publications
and attitudes and among other non-Buddhist religions as well. The Tibetans
are not alone in wanting to preserve their religious culture. Hence
nationalistic attitudes and propaganda. Without a nationalist motive and
energy, their culture would be totally erased by the Hans and their
collaborators in Tibet-- as, outside Tibet/India in the west, it will
eventually be erased or much modified by western influences.  This latter
effect has already happened.

I fail to see the urgency of your concern here. In any case, the Karmapa
recently brought out a few good Buddhist reasons why not to make immolation
a response to oppression. (See links I posted today.)

Joanna