[Buddha-l] Rare Footage of Tibetan Nun's Self-Immolation Smuggled out of Tibet

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 14:52:55 MST 2011

Dear readers,

I know the policy of Buddha-L is not to just post links without
clarification, but in this case, the footage speaks for itself. My question
is whether and to what extent such acts fit a pro-Tibet nationalism and how
does nationalism fit in a Buddhist outlook on the world more generally.  In
terms of nationalism, I'm also thinking of Nichiren Buddhism, Sri Lankan
anti-Tamil policies and the Thai Buddhist-Muslim tensions. What
justification can be found in the texts, if at all this is textually based
and not a 19th century Romantic product?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=174_1321894265

Regards,

Stefan