[Buddha-l] Recreational swimming?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 07:19:12 MST 2011

Joy,

Like you, I find those preamble details interesting. The Samyutta Nikaya
preamble that is virtually idenitcal from the point Buddha, at Jeta Grove in
Anathatpindika's Park, rises early, goes to town, eats, and then decides to
go with Ananda to "Migara's mother's terraced house" in East Park to "spend
the noontide."

"Then in the evening the Exalted One, risen from solitude, said to him:
'Come, Ananda, we will go to the bathing place and bathe our limbs.'
"'Yes, lord,' replied the venerable Ananda, and they went there together.
And when he had bathed and come out, the Exalted One stood in a single
garment, drying himself."
(PTS tr. by R.M. Hare, Gradual Sayings, v. III, p. 243)

Then enters a different cast of characters from the Ariyapariyesanā Sutta.
Hare, in a footnote points out that "all this recurs at M. i, 161" (that's
the Ariyapariyesanā), and then points out "cf. also S. i, 8; below, sec.
62."

Sec. 62 has Ananda leave Buddha's company and join other monks in the water
who are "bathing their limbs."

In the Ariyapariyesanā Buddha is, in my reading, seeking solitude (Ananda
excepted), and, as you point out, seeking some comfort, leisure, peace and
quiet. "Risen from solitude" has overtones of quiet meditation somewhere,
but it could just be enjoying the scenery for all we know; or a nap.
"Emerging from seclusion," the other translation, does likewise. Implies he
wants quite, private time. Ananda talks Buddha into going to Rammaka's
hermitage because it is "pleasant" (Thanissaro's rendering), or "agreeable
and delightful" (Nanamoli & Bhikkhu Bodhi; Middle Length Discourses, p.
253). They are taking a vacation day. And from what grueling workaday world
are they vacationing? Dealing with eager and/or stupid monks. Ergo the
ambush arranged by Ananda. Not only has Ananda maneuvered Buddha to a spot
he has prearranged for the monks to be, he has let Buddha use the day to
relax, refresh himself, so he will be up for the talk when he arrives. He's
so relaxed that he shares some autobiographical details he presumably had
neglected to spell out in precisely that way before (though we have
alternate templates of most of the elements he recounts in other suttas).
Ananda is the genius arranger and organizer of this part of the story, and
I'm not sure why Lance wants to deny him his due.

I can see how Lance chooses to read the story, but that seems a forced
denial of what is clearly, if tacitly going on.

I like this Buddha. This is the one who occasionally finds monks and noise
annoying, who has backaches, who disavowed being omniscient, who gets sick,
who dies because he didn't keep a kosher diet, and who was sharp as a whip,
oratorically gifted, logically clearheaded, and very human, or the sort of
human one is supposed to aspire to be. Tradition has buried him in gold-dust
and fairy-dust, which, ever so often, it is nice to sweep away and glimpse
the wise peripatetic who didn't suffer a cranial obtrusion.

Dan