[Buddha-l] A lecture by Richard Gombrich

Randall Jones randall.bernard.jones at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 18:55:44 MST 2011

Thank you, Joanna, for this link to a very worthwhile read. I found
myself agreeing with most of the points made.

I was just revisiting the who-is-a-Buddhist discussion in my mind
yesterday and remembering years ago when I was wondering if I was a
"real Buddhist." I made an appointment with a Thai monk at the Thai
Temple just outside New York and we talked about this. I got the
feeling that he thought the question was little silly, but even so,
he told me that usually a few things happened - talking about the
dharma with a Buddhist teacher/monk, taking refuge, sitting together.
(He also shared a few fascinating stories about some renowned western
teachers who had ordained in Thailand.) On the train ride back into
the city I realized that we had done those things he described as how
one usually became Buddhist. I was rather surprised and also amused
at how natural, organic, it had been and how little ritualistic. The
monk that I talked with also offered to sponsor my ordination in
Bangkok where I was shortly traveling, but I decided against that.

I share this because my experience was so different from what
Gombrich relates. Perhaps the Thai temple did not have a big outreach
program, but certainly they were open to non-Thais, tfluent in
English, and more than ready to talk and make one feel welcome - and
even feel a real Buddhist.

Randall