[Buddha-l] Ariyapariyesana

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 02:42:33 MST 2011

Neither brief nor long-winded:

[Dan]
>> Maybe I read too much Yogacara and Mahayana, but āgantuka-kleśa is the
>> term of choice.

[Lance]
> I think that perhaps you do. I cannot find the term in any immediately
> accessible source in any non-Mahāyāna text preserved in Sanskrit. Of
> course, the notion that upakkilesā are adventitious is found in Pali,
> but never the compound āgantukakilesa.

I haven't time to hunt down references at the moment, but what first popped
to mind is Sthiramati, in his Triṃśikā-vijñapti-bhāṣya, in the bhāṣya to
4ab: "...āgantukair upakleśair..." - broken up in typical commentarial style
(granted, this too is upakleśa). The Chinese 客塵煩惱 kechen fannao is an
attested equivalent for āgantuka-kleśa, āgantukatā, āgantuka-mala,
āgantukair upakleśaiḥ, and āgantu-kleśa. One finds that Chinese compound
roughly 350 times in the Taisho ed. of the canon (and reversing the terms --
煩惱客塵 fannao kechen -- which is another version, occurs 30 times). The
term 雜染 zaran occurs over 3500 times. Depending on the translator, it
indicates saṃkleśa, saṃkliṣṭa in Skt, or āgantuka-kleśa. Many Chinese
discussants understood these terms as synonyms, i.e., they understood zaran
as "adventitious defilements" (雜 za can mean both "mixture, heterogenous
mixture, mixed up" and "gathered together, combined").

>> Then the cloth sutta, [...] Can we decide which are earlier and which
>> later
>> on the basis of whether 'disturbed' or 'infiltrated' better fits?

> I will have to see that to comment.

I described it in a previous message and provided some of Ven. Analayo's
discussion. Sorry if I was unclear about which sutta I was referring to:
MN 7; PTS: M i 36
Vatthupama Sutta: The Simile of the Cloth
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.007.nypo.html

>> Sthiramati's commentary on Vasubandhu's Pancaskandha-prakarana preserved
>> in

> The recently found Sanskrit text is being edited here in Oxford at the
> moment by Dr Kramer from Vienna, but I don't know whether it will have
> any bearing on this issue.

We are eagerly awaiting this, along with some of the other recent finds. The
sole Chinese version, translated by Divakara, is extremely truncated,
compared to what the Tibetan contains. Their explanations often overlap, but
the explanation of prasAda re: rUpa-prasAda is one of the places where, even
though the Ch and TIb are running parallel their 'examples' diverge, each
using a different pool analogy. I'm not sure the Skt will solve the question
of what Divakara was (or wasn't doing), but it will be good to have it.

> Actually, Ānanda doesn't propose visiting the brahmin at all. He
> suggests going to the brahmin's ashrama (assamo) and points out that it
> is an attractive spot. This is a place provided by the brahmin for
> mendicants, perhaps specifically for Buddhist monks. There is no
> expectation that the brahmin will actually be there.

I understand your point. You take it as Ananda implicitly alerting Buddha
that he is being expected to 'teach' at the hermitage. That is a possible
reading. As I noted (relying on Analayo), the entire setup up to the actual
talk is found in the Anguttara. From a fn in Analayo's book (p. 170 n. 136):

"The same introductory narration – covering the Buddha’s stay at Jeta’s
Grove, his begging alms in Savatthi, his going with Ananda to the Hall of
Migara’s Mother for the day’s abiding, and his approaching the Eastern
Bathing Place to take a bath in the evening – recurs as the introduction to
another discourse, AN 6:43 at AN III 344,18. The remainder of this discourse
proceeds differently, as it records how the Buddha explained to Udayi what
constitutes a real naga."

When one adds in the ingredient of the monks complaining that they don't get
to hear Buddha speak much and not at all recently (not included in the AN
version), prompting Ananda to set up what I consider an ambush (you don't
think it's an ambush; you consider Buddha fully warned), I see a subtext
there that humanizes the whole situation. It also gives some credit for
ingenuity to Ananda. Similarly, Buddha's politeness, waiting for a lull and
announcing himself by clearing his throat and knocking on the door, is a
charming detail, much easier to relate to than a Buddha who announces he is
about to speak by zapping the infinite realms in the 10 directions with
multicolored laser beams streaming from his noggin.

>I wouldn't doubt that the linguistic
> form of the Pali texts is closer to the form in which the texts were
> originally written down than the highly Sanskritized versions of the
> so-called Mūlasarvāstivāda. The issue is more complex with the Recension
> One texts from Central Asia, not to mention the material in Gāndhārī. I
> would also suspect that the content of some of the other texts (e.g. the
> Ekottarika) is later, as in this case.

There are many indications that much of the Agama material translated in
Chinese was coming from prakrits of various types -- many translation
'errors' have been identified as misreading based on prakrit forms. (Analayo
collects some of them; others, such as Jan Nattier, have documented numerous
other examples). There are still some debates about the affiliation of each
of the Agamas preserved in Chinese (they do not come from the same source).
There are also debates about the affiliation of some of the translators,
which may have had some influence on how they read/rendered the texts they
were translating.

While the Sanskritized Agamas of the Mūlasarvāstivāda that are extant
represent a *linguistically* later form (or so we may presently presume),
their *content* sometimes preserves an earlier passage or variant, as
Schopen and others have shown.

So, in general, one should not really generalize about one entire corpus vs
another corpus re: content, but take every passage, sentence, and term on a
case by case basis, with as many witness texts as possible.

> In regard to Analayo's earlier work, I tended to think he over-favours
> the Chinese. He seems to use a principle of evaluation which I would
> call 'primacy of the plebeian' — if there is anything complex or subtle
> in the Pali, it must be a corruption or later addition. Since I suspect
> that the Chinese translators also tended to simplify, I suspect that
> distorts the situation.

That is not my impression of his work at all. He is paying attention to the
Chinese texts because, (in my opinion) (i) they have been largely ignored
and marginalized in discussions of the Nikaya-Agama lit. until recently, or
treated in crude block generalities rather than careful reading of their
contents, (ii) they shed a great deal of light on the degree of variation --
in passages, in redaction placement, in doctrinal lists, in doctrinal
interpretations, in the names to whom various actions and sayings are
attributed, etc. -- which in turn (iii) sheds a great deal of light on how
the Nikaya-Agama project worked, mutated, and was used. Nor do I see him
biased for or against the Pali, Ch., etc. On the contrary, I find him very
restrained about drawing conclusions and implications. Since he tends to
discuss the texts using paraphrases with occasional translated passages,
rather than putting up full and detailed translations of each of the
versions side by side (which would be a monumental undertaking -- and his
Comparative MN book, 2 vols, is already monumental), the full impact of the
degree of variance between the Pali and the Chinese trs. may not always be
fully evident in the English discussion (he's hitting highlights, not
detailing every shred of variant minutiae). That is much clearer if one
reads the Pali and Chinese versions side by side.

As for suspicions of possible distortions introduced by translators -- the
same could be said for transmitters of the Pali (hence the need for
Buddhahosa to clean up the mess). But more importantly, while we only have
very late variant editions of the Pali (Sinhala vs Burmese, etc.)(the
Buddhaghosa project successfully eliminated variants), we have for many
Agamas multiple translations of the same sutta, by different translators,
most probably from different root texts, so -- unless one wants to blanket
accuse every single translator of making exactly the same sorts of errors a
priori, which would be an odd position to hold without having read a single
word of their works -- comparisons between the different Chinese versions,
in additional comparison to Pali and (when available) Skt versions, provides
a check against that sort of criticism. In fact, sometimes the Ch. has less
detail than the Pali, sometimes a great deal more.

Analayo does occasionally speculate about primacy on the basis of
'coherency' -- when a passage fits the context, when it doesn't, when its
occurrence is awkward, etc., in one version but not in another, or when
something odd doesn't appear at all in other versions, or in some but not
all, and so on. One might argue that coherency can just as much be a sign of
a later revisionist or redactor cleaning/clearing up a unclear passage as it
might be a sign of an original 'coherent' statement that gets garbled in
transmission. There is no a priori for this. One has to, again, take all
such instances on a case by case basis, and one is free to agree or disagree
with Analayo's impressions and conclusions. Either way, he has done a
tremendous service by putting the evidence easily within reach after having
organized and collated it for us.

Once you have had an opportunity to examine Analayo's book (more thorough
than his previously published articles on some of the suttas -- articles
which I also find useful and thoughtful), perhaps you might revise your
opinion.

Dan