[Buddha-l] Return of blasphemy?

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 04:25:45 MST 2011

Hi Pedro, Joy, e.a.

I think the very allowance to believe whatever you wish is the cause of so
much misery. On what premise is someone allowed to belief whatever they
wish? Do you have a right to hold erroneous beliefs? What kind of right is
this? A legal right? A moral right? In scientific circle, you can try to
believe whatever you like, but you'll be laughed away if you do not provide
sufficient reasons to do so. If there is some disagreement on an issue,
it's through dialogue that things are sorted out and any *rahula* is left
for what it was. There are so many public debates which don't spare
sentiments. Why should this be different in the religious sphere? If for
anything a theology or a buddhology has evolved, it is exactly because
people disagreed and advanced more convincing arguments. I see nothing
wrong in demanding justifications for beliefs, especially if based on these
beliefs people are told what to do. In short, it's wrong to believe wrong
things.

Stefan